Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Bucket

I swear, I've never seen a human being so small throw up so much.  This is coming from me, the woman who had severe morning sickness for the first 16 weeks of her pregnancy.  With Jack, I was calling the porcelain gods upwards of 12 times a day.  The people at my old office really appreciated that, I'm sure.  I remember one of my co-workers commenting to me, before I let it out that I was preggers, that people were talking about someone throwing up in the bathroom throughout the day.  Oops...

Well, Jack's medicine was supposed to have curbed this by now.  Instead, 3 weeks later, it's continuing to escalate.  We hit a high of 6 times on Thursday and have averaged about 4 times daily since.

Nope, he's not sick.  We've checked.  No fever.  He only throws up during meals/snacks, which also seems indicative of a problem with the eating process and not with an actual illness.

So, mealtimes now involve the presence of the "Bucket", which Jack calls a "hat" because Brian put it on his head over the weekend.  It's all we can do, though.  It's no longer a question of "if" Jack will throw up.  It's a question of "when".

Monday at OT, Jack screamed almost the entire time.  His OT reported that he was stimming a lot and having extreme difficulties (more than usual) with transitions.  I mentioned that he's been really disengaged and she suggested that we focus on keeping him regulated and abandon working on engagement for a few days.  Bummer.

Today at speech, Jack did better, but she took it nice and easy with him.  I still heard more crying than normal and he did vomit once.  He was stimming a lot again and doing some scripting/parroting.  Considering the lack of all-out screaming, it was an improvement over the previous day.

I finally heard back from Dr. GI's office on Monday.  The nurse said that he's still leaning towards this all being a sensory issue.  That's really frustrating for me, in a way.  First, I think the tendency is to blame all problems with autistic children on their autism.  I want to make sure that we're not missing something that can be treated.  Second, I really wish that there could be something in my little boy's life that was easily treated.  I want him to have some relief.

It's making him miserable, which in turn is making me miserable.

So, we're meeting with Dr. GI on Wednesday to discuss scheduling an endoscopy and a 24-hour pH study.  The risk is that neither test may produce results.  In that case, we're back to where we started...sensory issues.  Sensory issues that can only be treated with more therapy.

At least I got the okay to take Jack off of the Prevacid, because I was nearing the point of requiring an intravenous banana daiquiri.  Hell, if I have the line placed, let's just make it straight rum.

In the end, I'm left with a kid who's miserable and the possibility that there's nothing that I can do about it.  I hate that.  I hate hearing that there's nothing we can do except for therapy and prayers.  It was supposed to be easier than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment