Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Tasteless

I spoke at length last week about the reasons why someone shouldn't use the "R" word.  I spoke of how hurtful it is, how wrong you are to use it, and why it is just incorrect to do so.  I get that people slip, that it is so ingrained in our vernacular that sometimes people just don't think.  It doesn't make it right, but everyone makes mistakes.

That is why the following is so atrocious.  This wasn't a mistake.  This was someone who has used this word before, received backlash, and chosen to do so again because she gets publicity from it.  Granted, it's negative, but ask any parent of a NT (or SN) preschooler if their kids will take negative attention just as readily as praise.

Normally, I don't get so fired up, but today, I'm pissed.  Seriously.  Someone has gone and done it again - on purpose, in my opinion - and I am sick of my child and your child being used in this way.  I'm sick of the hurt it causes.  I'm sick of people who simply seem to lack compassion or a heart on this issue.

I don't care what side you are on - Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, or just straight up Independent - we shouldn't let our desire to support one side or the other allow us to turn our backs silently on a comment like this:

Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) via Twitter last night:

I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the retard.

There are no words.  Seriously.  How dare she?  I don't care who you support (and as you know, I don't like to get into that here), but I have just two words to describe this.  No class.

Slinging insults at the nation's most vulnerable, the people who cannot always speak for themselves, just to get more Retweets and hits on your page is the lowest of low.  Surely, Ms. Coulter, you can think of something better to say than that.  If you want to go slinging insults around as so many political shock jockeys like yourself do, then get more creative.  Surely you can deliver your message without insulting someone else.

Without hurting someone as precious as my child.

What would I like to see come of this?  Ideally, I'd like to see you issue an apology.  I know you're not a parent, but imagine what it must feel like as a parent for someone to sling a word around as an insult that has been used in reference to your child.  I know that won't happen.  You got out of this what you wanted.

So, what I'd rather is this - I'd like Mitt Romney to condemn your remarks.  If he is who you are trying to lift up on a pillar, I'd rather for him to say that he doesn't want your support.  If her words no longer have power to draw people towards the conservative cause because the conservatives don't want her there, then suddenly our message has been received.  That you don't get to sit at the grown-ups table unless you can act in a way that is respectful to people who are different than you.  That someone like you who is supporting him with hate speech is not the kind of support he wants.  That he is against using children and adults with disabilities as an insult to be slung around so carelessly.  That he is for ALL Americans and all American families, including those who have loved ones with disabilities.

For there are many.  There are so many.

Today, let's light up social media.  Let's make it clear to Ann Coulter (her Twitter handle is @AnnCoulter) that we won't allow our children to be used in a political mud-slinging match.  Let's show them all - on both sides of the aisle - that when they throw that word around as an insult, this is who they are speaking about:


This is who they use as an insult, but whom I love with all of my heart and soul:


This is who you are referring to when you use those words - those horrible, hateful words that strike at the heart of every special needs parent.  He is better than you, Ann Coulter, a million times over:


---

Please help!  Let Ann Coulter know that this was a classless comment to make about children as precious as ours.  Clearly the work isn't done.  Read last week's post about Choosing Your Words Carefully (click --> here <--) and consider taking the pledge to End the Word by clicking --> here.  Together, let's work to make this word unacceptable for use by anyone.

1 comment: